Que sera sera

Wednesday, June 9

Soap

Photobucket
I bet many of us have seen that Dove commercial where they have a bunch of women used soap to wash a mirror, and  tell you that the residue left over is soap scum, and how Dove wont leave soap scum, therefore it should be the number one choice. Wonderful experiment isnt it? But wait. If every soap leaves soap scum and Dove doesnt, then how can Dove call itself soap? Such hypocrite!

That, and a few more of false advertising have been the biggest reason for me to stay away from drug store, and even department store hygiene and skin care products. Because I can help but reckon that the 7$ I pay for a bottle of face cleanser only buys me about 50 cent of product. The 6.5$ left over goes straight into marketing, advertising, and the beautiful actress who is the brand's spoke person. Is it worth it? No, not at all.

It's so sad that Marketing has driven people far away from common sense, and make us believe in what they have created. We are stripped down and blocked from the general knowledge that they dont want us to have, so that we are willing to pay big bucks for the full load of crab their company created. Really.  Almost every one ever use soap anymore because they think soap is not as clean, and it leaves soap scum behind. But would you rather you detergent on your face? Well, before you answer my question, reach for your favorite bottle of face cleanser and google the first 3 ingredients. Then come back and tell me what you think.

Soap is not at all a bad  thing to use. In event that you ask my opinion, of course. In fact, just decades before soap has been widely used among us. Making soap is a process of superfatting oils with lye to create surfactants, this can also be called soaponized. In "English", its just simple as you putting some oils into a lye mixture, cook it up. Then the mixture will solidify into the form of a soap bar. The bar then get put away to rest for at least 4 weeks, some times even 7-8 weeks so that the lye will get a chance to evaporate. Then whats left are oils and other ingredient that are gentle and easy on the skin. Decades ago, people even used animal fat to make soap. But that wasnt so hot because animal fat leaves behind way more residue than vegetable oils, and it doesnt smell very pleasant.

For more on soap making, check here  and here and here

The so called soap scum is the thin film that got left on  the surface when you use soap to cleanse. The harder your water, meaning the more metal particle included in your water, the thicker the film will be. Over time, it will get more visible, and people see it in their bath tub, shower doors, shower walls, etc... Thats why they call it soap scum. If you use well water, you have a high chance of getting soap scum when you use soap. Though, this problem is easily solved by using a shower filter, or water filter, which is rather inexpensive. Plus, soaking your tub with a solution of  1 cup of white vinegar to two gallon of water, and some light scrubbing will easily get rid of them. Vinegar is a great disinfectant too.

Coming back to soap products. Nowadays, more and more small business are open by people who have great interest in green living and protecting the earth. Its also happen that most of them are women. Because of that, they create products that are good for people to use and easy for Mother Earth to take in. Their products are make with care, and also inexpensive when you compare the ingredient with department store and high end brand.

Often, I buy all soap from those small company. I love the fact that they stand by their products and they give me the adequate attention that I deserve. To them, I am a friend and not a number. My questions get answer within 24 hrs, and most of the time I always get something extra in my order. Another reason I like to buy from them because I get to know what ingredients they are using and why they use them. I am happy that my products are not loaded with fillers, lab developed fragrant, and harmful preservatives. In fact, I am delighted to use product that are natural, and the wonderful smell of essential oils that they use.

Take a look at one of my favorite soap to use:
Photobucket
This baby's ingredient list is listed as follows:  Soaponized oils of olive, organic coconut , alovera butter, and castor oil. Then they  top the soap with organic aloe vera juice, organic whole leaf aloe, essential oils of lemon, bergamot, lavender, and eucalytus, parsley flakes, organic corn starch as a thickener, and rosemary oil extract.

Those ingredients are skin friendly, healthy, and wholesome. Given that if you are allergic to any of them, please dont use the soap. But if not, you are treating your skin to a delightful experience when you shower. I have a friend who stayed for a short visit, and she still order from Chagrin when she gets back to Taiwan. She told me that one day she had a bad sunburn and she used this Alovera Soap. Its not magic or anything but it helped her a bunch with the burn. But dont take her or my word for it. Give it a try. Im sure you will like it.

Another place that I trust to buy soap from is Earth Alkemie. Li,  the owner has a vast knowledge on herbs, aromatherapy and skin care thanks to her M.A. in Biology. She is also very kind and helpful in helping people who just convert to using natural skin care.
Photobucket
Picture taken from Erth Alkemie website
You can also purchase cleansing products from BurtBee, Audrey Organic, or Dr. Bronner, etc. since they are widely available in stores now. Just make sure you pay attention to the ingredients. Also, just because something is organic or natural, doesnt mean that its all good. In fact, stay away from product that you know you are allergic too, and always do a batch test or buy sample sizes.
I hope this help you a little bit in choosing personal care products. If you have any questions dont hesitated to let me know.
** All pictures are taken from the seller's storefront. They are not taken by me. Because as soon as they get to me, they go straight to the bath room :D **

1 comment:

  1. I love ur knowledge. :) . U have had it from ur experience, not by reading. And ur writing Eng is very American Eng to me :). Congrats :), my dear. I love reading ur post both Eng and Vietnamese.
    I look 4ward to c ur series about skin care. I do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tự do thoải mái bày tỏ ý kiến của mình nha. Nhưng xin vui lòng chửi thề có chừng mực. Please be polite and courteous while freely expressing your thoughts. No spams please.